Back to school doesn’t have to mean back to chaos.
There’s no doubt that clutter makes your home look and feel sloppy. An organized space can help you feel calmer and keep your morning routine moving. It can help you breathe easy.
A mudroom can mean different things to different people, but essentially, it’s a place to remove outerwear before entering your home. They will add value to your property but they can also transform the way you move through your space and even how you interact with your family. A mudroom keeps the outdoors OUT of your home and can let you spend less time cleaning or fussing about clutter. If dark and dirty spaces come to mind, then keep reading!
Building a new addition lets you create your room from scratch. You and your designer have a blank canvas to create a space that is both functional AND beautiful. If you’re remodeling your current space and the footprint is already set, there are still plenty of options to explore.
Below we’ve outlined some important things to consider before beginning your mudroom makeover.
colombian women for marriage Where will it go?
When you’re thinking of an addition there are several things to consider before you start drawing up floor plans.
- What would make the most sense for your home?
- Front porch addition?
- Garage addition with a new home entry area?
- Back patio and mudroom addition?
- Is there enough space in that area?
- Can you get a permit to expand in that direction?
Something else to consider: if you’re building an addition, now is the time to think of what else is needed. Adding a second story master bathroom or home office is much more cost-efficient when done at the same time.
free interracial dating uk How would you like to use the space?
If everyone enters through the front door straight into the living room – what would you like to see changed – what frustrates you the most?
- Storage for muddy raincoats and boots?
- A laundry area or guest powder room?
- A place to hang backpacks, keys, and dog leashes?
- A hub to keep mail and track important reminders?
By creating a designated space for the things you use most, you can save the rest of your home from becoming a dumping ground. Storage options are as endless as your imagination so it’s helpful to work with a designer if you’re feeling overwhelmed. They are able to work with a budge, suggest functional solutions, and find a style to compliment you and your home.
man söker kvinna i Svealand Design Materials
Muddy dogs, wet snow suits crumpled on the floor, dirty work boots – the mudroom needs to be able to withstand a lot! When choosing materials for your new room, keep in mind the traffic and moisture it will need to stand up to. Here are two of our favourite flooring choices:
- kvinna söker par i Lysekil Tiles – especially porcelain and ceramic. They’re easy to clean and don’t show wear and tear – but keep in mind that some finishes can be slippery *Tip: pick a darker grout that won’t show the dirt
- datingsider for homofile Vinyl tiles or planks – durable and stands up to moisture *Tip: the market is full of new options that mimic wood, tile, and just about anything else you can think of!
Now that the rest of your home will be left in peace – don’t let the new mudroom become a messy catchall! You want efficient, family-friendly storage solutions to keep it all in place. It helps to make a list of things you plan on keeping in the mudroom to ensure they all get a proper home in the new space.
- Seating – a bench for taking off boots or setting down your shopping
- Closets and/or Cubbies – a place for family and friends to hang their coats
- Small Hooks – for keeping backpacks, purses, or keys, in the same place each day
- Large Hooks – for the guest coats or items that you use often
- Baskets, Bins or Drawers – give small items their own home to make searching a breeze
- Shelving – for your baskets and other items
- Using Unusable Spaces – make the most of a small space by going vertical and storing out-of-season gear up high or using the unused space under the stairs for seating, etc.
- Multi-purpose Thinking – consider adding a laundry space, powder room, or a homework nook to make your home even more functional
- Doors – a closed-off mudroom is sometimes the best option; that way, if the space gets neglected for a while, your guests will never know!
- Style – Don’t leave style and ambiance out of the equation! Be sure to incorporate your homes décor into this space as well. You want it to be welcoming like the rest of your home.
If you want your family to join in on keeping the space clean, it’s important to consider THEM in the planning phase too!
- different heights for hooks and shelves
- adding personal touches and fun colours to keep it interesting